Friday, January 16, 2009

Asiago Polenta alla Bolognese



That's what I'm calling it, anyway. Any genuine Italians out there wanna set me straight on what a Bolognese sauce is? Wikipedia describes it as "a meat-based sauce for pasta originating in Bologna, Italy. Bolognese sauce is sometimes taken to be a tomato sauce but authentic recipes have only a small amount of tomato."

Browned a beef chuck roast and a pork tenderloin, removed the meat, cooked the rest of the stuff (secret), added tomato sauce, tomato paste and water, returned the meat to the pot and cooked for a couple hours. Removed the meat again, ground about 1/4 of it, then added it back to the sauce.

I made the sauce a week ago and froze half of it. We had spaghetti with the freshly made sauce, then I defrosted some and we liked it much better on polenta. Well worth the stirring time. Stirred a little Asiago in at the last stage of cooking.

1 comment:

Pops said...

Bolognese has basically been reduced to meat sauce. I'm sure I have authentic recipe somewhere. I would only use a dash of tomato paste

AC