Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas con Pepper Jack Queso



A friend pointed me to a recipe for "easy enchilada sauce" courtesy of Emeril Lagasse on the Food Network. I also read somewhere online that the chili powder used in enchilada sauce was from pasilla chiles--true or not, I can't say. I've got chili powder, but it doesn't say what kind of chile it's from, so I bought a bag of dried pasillas, and made my own in the mini food processor. When finished, the tomato paste flavor seemed to dominate the sauce, but when mixed with all the other flavors in THE WHOLE ENCHILADA (hee, hee), it was muy bueno. I built the enchies following the usual procedure, filling the sauce coated corn tortillas with a mixture of shredded cooked chicken, sauteed onion, garlic and a couple chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, which imparted a slightly smoky flavor, as well as a little spicy heat. Using pepper jack cheese upped the heat un poquito tambien.

(Notice the St. Pauli Girl bubbling in the glass).

1 comment:

Kelly said...

you inspired me -- I made cheese enchiladas this weekend. yum~!